Can you offer any information pertaining to exemption 7(a), which references Lead (Pb) in high melting temperature solders (i.e. lead-based alloys containing more than 85% or more by weight in lead)?
- Below are the recommendations from Oeko-Institut e.V. regarding exemptions:
- 7(a)-I Lead in high melting temperature type solders (i.e. lead-based alloys containing 85 % by weight or more lead)
- 7(a)-II in all applications not addressed in items III and IV, but excluding applications in the scope of exemption 24
- 7(a)-III for die attach
- 7(a)-IV for electrical connections on or near the voice coil in power transducers
- Expiration recommendations:
- 7(a)-I For Cat. 8 and 9: 21 July 2021;
- For Sub-Cat. 8 in-vitro: 21 July 2023;
- For Sub-Cat. 9 industrial: 21 July 2024
- 7(a)-II For categories 1 to 7 and 10: 21 July 2021
- 7(a)-III and IV For categories 1 to 7 and 10: 21 July 2019
Industry has responded with the request: Renewal of existing exemption wording “Lead in high melting temperature type solders (i.e. lead-based alloys containing 85 % by weight or more lead)” [as also recently implemented by the Commission under ELV4] for categories 1 to 7, 10 and 11 of Annex I for an additional validity period of 5 years.
**Article contents valid as of 2017-06-19