The EU RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU and EU 2015/863 restricts ten substances and substance groups above a specific threshold at the homogeneous material level. It also allows certain exemptions for the use of the restricted substances in particular components and/or specific product applications.
These specific exemptions are documented under Annex III and Annex IV of the 2011/65/EU Directive. Suppliers cannot assume that the exemptions automatically apply to their components, parts, materials, or products and are encouraged to request approval for use of any required EU RoHS exemptions via their Supply Chain representative. Improperly applying an exemption could be termed as a non-compliance leading to enforcement action and/or your disqualification as a supplier.
EU RoHS Declaration Acceptance Criteria.
Making an EU RoHS Directive Declaration in the Supplier Portal
Once you receive the relevant campaign email, you can make the declaration:
- Before you begin, prepare the information you will need to complete your declaration:
From this window, you can download your Product List and Substance List for reference. These files download in Excel format.
- On the main page, review the regulation details and the available regulation resources:
- Use the checkboxes to select your products and click Declare:
To display more parts, open the dropdown menu on the bottom right of the parts table and select the desired number of products to display (20, 40, 50, or 500 parts):
Filtering: To filter products, enter your keyword in the Client’s Product Name and/or Client’s Product Number field and click Apply. To remove a filter, click Cancel.
- On the next page, review the Product Details section:
- If you have an IPC-1752A XML file to speed up the declaration process, click Upload File:
- Using the File Explorer, browse your organization's resources, attach the XML file, and click Open.
Uploading a valid IPC-1752A XML will populate the corresponding areas below.
- To continue declaring manually, click Next to expand the Product Statements section.
- Select a declaration statement for your products and click Next:
If you are declaring with exemptions, select the exemption(s) from the drop-down list:
- In the Supporting Documents section, click Upload:
- Using the File Explorer, browse your organization's resources, attach the desired file, and click Open.
- Select a file type for the uploaded file from the drop-down list:
To remove a document, click the “x”. You can upload multiple pieces of supporting documentation:
- When you have uploaded your supporting documentation, click Next.
- In the Substances section, click Add Substance:
- Enter the desired substance by CAS or EC number or Substance Name to populate the desired search result:
- Check the box if the substance is Contained in product:
In Product: This substance is contained in the composition of the product in its final state (i.e. completed all manufacturing stages and ready for delivery/sale)
- Enter the Nominal Concentration of the substance.
Nominal Concentration is the value of mass when a single estimate value is provided.
- Select the Substance Status from the drop-down list:
- If you declared an exemption above, select the desired Exemption from the drop-down list.
Selected exemptions must match with the declared substance. For example, if you declared "Lead/lead compounds" present, the selected exemption must be for lead.
- Enter where in the product the substance is found:
Describe the Sub-Product or Material in the Product where the Substance is found.
- To finish adding the substance, click Save.
- Repeat this process for every substance you need to manually declare and click Next:
- In the Review section, the system will notify you if you are ready to submit your declaration:
If your customer has requested it, you may need to provide a Comment in this section.
- Click Submit to finish and return to the main page.
- If necessary, repeat the declaration process for any remaining parts and click Done to submit your declaration(s).
- On the Declaration Summary page, you can review the details and click Continue to finish: